AEPC Certification of basic training in paediatric and congenital cardiology
With the AEPC Certification of basic training in paediatric and congenital cardiology, the AEPC aims to establish a certificate of training to ensure an equally high standard of training in the field throughout Europe which subsequently allows state-of-the-art treatment of patients with congenital heart disease in future. As the subspecialty of Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology is not officially recongnised in all European countries, the AEPC certificate can be considered as an international reference of high quality training in the field.
This certification can be achieved by paediatricians / cardiologists at the end of their training in paediatric cardiology. The Educational Committee has worked out the criteria to reach the AEPC certification in agreement with the AEPC council.
The certification consists of two components which both should be completed in order to be certified:
Part 1 - Education and experience and its documentation
DOCUMENTATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE IN THE AEPC LOGBOOK
- Training in paediatric cardiology in the AEPC recognized training centres for 2-3 years depending on the general training in paediatrics or cardiology.
- Documentation of the training in the AEPC Logbook, approved by the head of the training centre.
- The AEPC logbook can be downloaded here >
SUBMISSION OF THE LOGBOOK FOR CERTIFICATION
- Trainees: after completion of 3 years of training in Paediatric Cardiology (latest 18 months after passing the exam).
- Paediatric Cardiologists: 1 year before and after the exam.
In general, the training should be in agreement with the AEPC recommendations as published in Cardiology in the Young: “Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology Recommendations for basic training in paediatric and congenital cardiology 2020”.
Part 2 - AEPC exam in paediatric cardiology
DATE & TIME
- Passing a multiple choice exam containing 125 questions at the AEPC Annual Meeting.
- The first exam will take place on Thursday 26 May 2022, 11:00–14:00, during the AEPC 2022 Geneva Annual Meeting.
- A certificate of passing the exam will be provided.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION
- Trainees in Paediatric Cardiology after having passed at least 18 months of training
- Trained Paediatric Cardiologists, including AEPC members and non-members
- Maximum number of participants in 2022: 150 candidates
- Preference of participation will be given to AEPC junior members
- The detailed registration procedure will be announced in January 2022.
- A letter of the head of the training centre or verification of passed training has to be uploaded with the registration.
- Deadline of registration: 1 March 2022.